(1) There stands an old temple at the top of the hill.
→ At the top of the hill there stands an old temple.
(2) You can do it well only in this way.
→ Only in this way can you do it well.
(3) A young woman sat by the window.
→ By the window sat a young woman.
为了使表达更生动，更富表现力，同学们在写作时应尽量避免重复使用同一词语来表示同一意思，尤其是一些老生常谈的词语。如有的同学一看到“喜欢”二字，就会立刻想起like，事实上，英语中表示类似意思的词和短语很多，如 love, enjoy, prefer, appreciate, be fond of, care for等。如：
I like reading while my brother likes watching television.
→ I like reading while my brother enjoys watching television.
(1) He may be busy. If he’s busy, I’ll call later. If he is not busy, can I see him now?
→ He may be busy. If so, I’ll call later. If not, can I see him now?
(2) If the weather is fine, we’ll go. If it is not fine, we’ll not go.
→ If the weather is fine, we’ll go. If not, not.
(3) She could have applied for that job, but she didn’t do so.
→ She could have applied for that job, but she didn’t.
(1) When he heard the news, they all jumped for joy.
→ Hearing the news, they all jumped for joy.
(2) As I didn’t know her address, I wasn’t able to get in touch with her.
→ Not knowing her address, I wasn’t able to get in touch with her.
(3) As he was born into a peasant family, he had only two years of schooling.
→ Born into a peasant family, he had only two years of schooling.
At noon we had a picnic lunch in the sunshine. Then we had a short rest. Then we began to play happily. We sang and danced. Some told stories. Some played chess.
→ At noon we had a picnic lunch in the sunshine. After a short rest, we had great fun singing and dancing, telling jokes and playing chess.
(1) He has decided to be a teacher when he grows up.
→ He has made up his mind to be a teacher when he grows up.
(2) He doesn't like music.
→ He doesn't care much for music.
(3) He told me that the question was now under discussion.
→ He told me that the question was now being discussed.
(1) He was very tired. He couldn’t walk any farther.
→ He was too tired to walk any farther.
(2) The film was very interesting. Both the teachers and the students liked it.
→ The film was so interesting that both the teachers and the students liked it.
(3) Your son is old. He can look after himself now.
→ Your son is old enough to look after himself now.
(1) Don't worry. Be bold and try it, and you'll learn it soon.
→Don't worry. Just go for it, and you'll get it soon.
(2) Thank you for playing with us.
→Thank you for sharing the time with us.
(1) Now everyone knows the news. I think Jim must have let it out.
→ Now everyone knows the news. I think it must have been Jim who has let it out.
(2) We had to stand there to catch the offender.
→ What we had to do was (to) stand there, trying to catch the offender.
(3) If her pronunciation is not better than her teacher’s, it is at least as good as her teacher’s.
→ Her pronunciation is as good as, if not better than, her teacher’s.
(1) As the proverb says, “Where there is a will, there is a way.” Though you fail this time, you needn’t lose heart. As long as you work hard and stick to your dream, you will succeed one day.
(2) There is a proverb goes like this “Life isn’t a bed of roses.” It is ture that it is likely for everyone to meet problems and difficulties in life.
(3) In the modern world, more and more people live alone, which is not so good for our life. It is better for us to make more friends and enjoy friendship. Just as a proverb says, “A near friend is better than a far-dwelling kinsman.”(责任编辑：chenzh)